Microsoft Visio Professional 2016 makes it easier than ever for individuals and teams to create and share professional, versatile diagrams that simplify complex information. It includes all of the functionality of Visio Standard 2016 as well as updated shapes, templates, and styles; enhanced support for team collaboration, including the ability for several people to work on a single diagram at the same time; and the ability to link diagrams to data instantly. Visio Professional 2016 also helps prevent information leakage by enabling Information Rights Management.
Get started with diagramming easily
Get a jump start on diagrams with a set of pre-crafted starter diagrams and contextual tips and tricks.
Create professional diagrams quickly
Take advantage of 70 built-in templates and thousands of shapes that meet industry standards including:
- Business diagrams, such as flowchart, timeline, PivotDiagram, and organizational chart.
- Process diagrams, such as cross-functional flowcharts, IDEF0 (Integration Definition for Process Modeling), BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation) 2.0, and Microsoft SharePoint workflows.
- IT diagrams, such as ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library), Active Directory, detailed network, and rack.
- Software and database diagrams, such as database notation, website map, and UML (Unified Modeling Language) 2.4.
- Engineering diagrams, such as electrical, circuits, and systems. Refreshed templates include Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) compliance.
- Maps and floor plans, such as HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), office layout, site plan, and space plan. Refreshed templates include over 600 shapes that appeal to modern tastes and 400 smart shapes that help boost productivity.
Use a simple wizard to automatically create diagrams from data, starting with organizational charts.
Customize and complete diagrams quickly
Customize professional-looking diagrams using a rich set of effects and themes that apply a completely different look to your design in just a few clicks.
Perform common diagramming activities (change shape, auto align and position, or duplicate and reorder pages) with an intuitive experience while preserving the metadata and connections of the shapes.
Bring diagrams to life with data linking
- Visualize real-time data in the context of an organizational structure, IT network, manufacturing plant, or complex business processes to obtain the whole picture. Link Visio shapes to multiple data sources including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Excel Services, Active Directory, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SQL Azure, and Microsoft SharePoint Lists, and Business Connectivity Services.
- Reveal patterns and meaning in your data with data graphics, such as vibrant icons, symbols, colors, and bar graphs.
- Get an always-up-to-date view of your data by keeping your diagram connected to the data source, so that your shape formatting will automatically update to reflect any changes in the underlying data.
- Take advantage of the new one-step connectivity with Excel table and swap data graphics to your preference with one click.
Define, enhance and democratize processes efficiently
Document processes with the standard notation of your choice. With over 20 process templates, Visio offers a one-stop solution of process types—BPMN 2.0, SharePoint workflow, value stream mapping, and EPC.
Take advantage of an intuitive experience of sub-process creation and drive cross team synergy.
Check diagrams using built-in or customizable validation rules to ensure that diagrams are constructed in accordance with general diagramming best practices, industry standards or compliance needs. Use Visio Services in SharePoint to share and communicate your processes visually across the enterprise, or to monitor process activities using live data connectivity.
Collaborate easily as a team on diagrams
- Enable others to add comments to a diagram or a shape from virtually any device, whether through Visio or through a browser using Visio Services (requires SharePoint). Get visual indicators of what shapes others are working or commenting on and easily sync diagrams when saving.
- Streamline teamwork and reduce the risk of errors by allowing two or more people to work on the same diagram in a single file at the same time.
- Get immediate clarification on feedback by initiating an instant messaging (IM) conversation or audio/video call with reviewers right from within Visio. (Requires a compliant IM application, such as Microsoft Skype for Business or Microsoft Lync.)
Communicate one version of truth—through a browser
- Share your diagrams for broader consumption through a browser, even with people who don't have Visio installed—through Visio Services in SharePoint.
- As your underlying data refreshes, your diagrams is refreshed in the browser.
Secure diagrams with Microsoft file protection technologies
Prevent information leakage using Information Rights Management (IRM) protection, which provides persistent protection of e-mail messages and attachments, documents, and diagrams.
Leverage an Office-like experience
Take advantage of Office experience innovations such as Dark Themes, Tell Me, and High DPI support to accommodate various diagram creation and collaboration needs.